TMJ dysfunction has many symptoms that can occur independently or in combination with each other:
- clicking or popping with opening and/or closing
- pain around the TMJ
- improper bite (teeth do not fit together properly)
- buzzing/ringing in ears
- not able to open the jaw completely
It is important that you seek consultation from a qualified clinician such as a physiotherapist for an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment.
The temporomandibular joints (TMJ) are among some of the most frequently used joints in the body. We use them to talk, chew, yawn, swallow and sneeze. Temporomandibular joint dysfunction can occur because of a blow to the jaw or head, a postural abnormality or by exerting too much stress on the joint (i.e. gum chewing, fingernail biting, habitual grinding or clenching).
Treatment for these dysfunctions is considered a specialty area in Orthopaedic Physiotherapy.
How can I book an appointment?
- most private health care plans have coverage for Physiotherapy. At Veitch Physiotherapy and Wellness Centre we direct bill a number of providers, our reception staff can assist you with this.
- Appointments can be booked by telephone 634-4882 or email
- Many health care plans do not require physicians referral for reimbursement of physiotherapy services
Please contact us for further information. We look forward to helping you return to full function!